Sunday, June 23, 2013

 6/22/2013

The presentations by the students were held this morning.

Don't act surprised.

It went well.  

Although it has never been more apparent that I love to surround myself with hard-to-please people, especially mentors.

"Yeah, you did okay...Next time, put in more pictures."

Accepted. I love rising to a challenge.





The afternoon was dedicated  to more field work.

The night was when it got real interesting.

I'm starting to get some real solid data. I'll be able to use it for my final paper too. I caught 7 frogs and 1 lizard today and tested them to find the maximum temp. they could tolerate.

Then after dinner, I had to return them.

Into the jungle.

At night.

Alone.



That's a potent combo that will put the fear of god into you real quick.

 There are more noises, hoots, crashes, howls, and screams in the jungle at night than I'd ever care to remember. There's always something stomping around in the distance. Some unknown prescence that I'm sure has evil intentions.

My overactive imagination refused to keep quiet. Fantasies of being in Jurassic Park during the daytime turned to near nightmares in the dark. Ugh.

Night work is going to be interesting to say the least.

It doesn't matter that I have two flashlights, or that I'm on a trail. The jungle is just so thick. So ominous.

I'll be the first to admit, I was pretty terrified.

I was only out there for a few hours. It sure felt like a life-time though.

On the plus-side, I got these


 Demon eyes right? They sure scared the daylights out of me when I first saw their eye-shine. Turns out it was just a stupid group of peccaries. The staff was right. One week in, and I'm already sick of these things.

 Sibon nebulata (Cloudy Slugeating snake) My first snake of the trip! I was starting to feel like a real amateur. Almost a full week into the trip and I'm glad I finally came across this one in the tress when I was crossing one of hte streams. He was real friendly and not at all interested in biting me.

  
Craugastor fitzingeri (Fitzinger's Rainfrog) With a light rain these things were everywhere tonight. Normally I'd think they were cool. But being alone in the dark with strange creatures moving all around you can take a toll on your nerves after a while.


 Leptodactylus pentadactylus (Smoky Jungle Frog) This one gave out a real whiny call when I grabbed it. It sounded like a little child screaming. Little did I know that they have a skin secretion that can cause mild-dermatitis. Luckily I didn't rub my eyes, but I did grab my flashlight and later stick it in my mouth when I was writing notes. I do not recommend.


 Eleutherodactylus mimus (Northern Masked Rainfrog) Nothin much to report here except the fact that she's purty.



Here I am in the full get-up with laser-thermometer in hand after a few hours in the field. I'm not sure if I'll get used to being out in the dark alone. Not really sure if I want to.
They were having a mixer when I got back which was a nice transition back to humanity.  The feeling that there was something behind every tree about to eat me quickly turned into ping-pong games and dancing.

Tomorrow we go into town to get supplies.

I might try eating a Costa Rican food called "mondongo"...I'll explain later what part of the cow it's made from.

Here's a hint. It ain't a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment