Saturday, July 16, 2016

16.July.2016 (Day 41)


Winter is coming



The weather has changed since I returned from Cairns. The first few weeks I was here the days were hot and humid and the early night was about the same. Even though June/July are considered ‘winter’ in the top-end, it certainly didn’t feel very cold.

This last week, however, the climate is remarkably changed.


Not only are the days very mild, but by the time the sun goes down it’s officially jacket weather. I even found myself wearing the long-johns I had regretted packing the other night!


With a change in the weather also comes a change in the wildlife, especially the snakes I’ve been so desperately searching for. As ectotherms, both the water and children’s pythons show a drastic reduction in activity when the cold comes. When I first arrived there was a good chunk of time each night (~7p-10:30pm) when the snakes were out. The low was normally around 21C (70F).


These days I have from ~7:15-8pm before everything goes quiet and the temp at 10pm last night was 10C (50F) with a chilly wind blowing off the wetlands.


I’m admittedly getting anxious about my remaining time here, especially finding the remaining snakes I need.



As of this morning I’ve captured and sampled 120/120 cane toads; 68/75 water pythons; and 20/24 children’s pythons. I’m close, so close I can taste it.



Speaking of tasting it, funny/tragic/disgusting story –


Water pythons are very mellow on the aggressive-snake scale. I’ve encountered a few ‘biters’ but over 95% of them have been very apt to allow me to grab them (although they all get pretty aggressive when you stick their head in a tube and put a syringe in their heart).


They do have one defensive behavior, which I would argue is even better than being bitey.


They shoot excrement all over the place when they’re scared.


I’ve learned to keep their business-end concealed in a bag so their poo/pee doesn’t get all over the floor, lab, equipment, and my person. Today however I made a bit of an error.



The culprit



I think I was just so excited about this guy; he was almost 2 meters long and had a beautiful sheen to him. My excitement soon abated, however, when he gushed a potty fountain on:


My chest


Neck


Chin


And


Into my mouth…



What the (expletive), you (expletive), (expletive) what the (expletive) is wrong with you snake?!?


Ugh.



Because it’s petal to the metal, I’m afraid the blog might suffer some and the animal pictures might decrease. It’s all hands on deck and full speed ahead.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete