Sunday, July 17, 2016

17.July.2016 (Day 42)

 Some things will never be tamed



If yesterday was cold, today was absolutely frigid. I was in the lab most of the day but any foray outdoors was quickly met with a scarf and jacket.


I’ve been told I’m rather lucky, in ‘normal’ years it gets this cold in early to mid-June (right about the time I showed up) and lasts for 30-45 days (before getting sweltering hot and muggy again). So I actually had pretty good weather for most of my time here, all things considering.

Another ‘plus’ was that this was an abnormally weak wet-season. For a biologists studying hydration in wild animals, it has really been a win-win.



All good things must come to end though.



Tonight was undoubtedly my worst snakin’ night yet. I still managed to find 2 more animals (getting closer!), but I can feel it in the air. Things are hunkering down and waiting it out. Animals are not moving.



I haven’t had a near-collision with a roo in over a week! Clearly something is off.



The animals that are out seem sad…





I’ll never let go Jack







Sleepy…




Two-lined dragon (Diporiphora bilineata)









Or generally nonplussed




Bynoe’s gecko (Heteronotia binoei)






The only animal that still seems to have a spark is one we tried to catch for the lab to show off to school groups that come through. He’s escaped half a dozen times already and is generally not very happy about his situation. I think we’ll let him go in the next few days.



Frilled dragon (Chlamydosaurus kingii)





I’m still not ready to give up though, not when I’m so close. Nine more snakes until data collection is complete. 



Nine more to go. 



As the great musical geniuses Europe (how dare you to even think otherwise) would say: It’s the final countdown.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete