Sunday, June 12, 2016

13.June.2016 (Day 8)

Shock and awe


The landscape of northern Australia (or the ‘Top End’ as any ozzie calls it) is spectacular. The field site I’m at is a perfect example of a rich river flood plain.


Harrison Dam Conservation Area



Every wet season the Adelaide river swells an unbelievable amount. That, coupled with the fact that Australia is the flattest continent on the planet, means massive amounts of water spill out on the plains. Early in the 20th century they tried to grow rice here, which didn’t work, and then raise water buffalos (where mozzarella cheese comes from), which also didn’t work.


The ‘dam’, is really just a big mound of dirt, when the water fills up the area in the wet season (spilling over the dam) it never recedes fully in the dry season. What we’re left with is an amazing marshland right next to plains, which is the perfect spot to find all manner of creatures.

Marshlands to the right, Harrison dam on the left side


Wide open spaces, Harrison dam on far right and left



Despite my best efforts, I couldn’t help but be awe struck by all the cool birds out here too.

Australian white ibis (Threskiornis moluccus)



Intermediate egret (Ardea intermedia)



Black-necked stork (Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus)



Blood-stained cockatoo (Cacatua sanguine)

I should note that these are also known as Corella, but blood-stained has a certain air of viciousness that rolls off the tongue.


Rainbow bee-eater (Merops ornatus)



There are too many birds here to ever ID and I have half a million more photos or strange feathered beasts that I’ll probably never getting around to identifying.



One positive ID I can make – gorgeous sunsets

Sun setting over Harrison dam




Once the sun goes down it turns into a whole new world. Fortunately for me, that’s when my work begins and all my favorite critters emerge. Not to mention the night sky is incredible!

Stars over Harrison dam





Sundown is probably one of the most dangerous times up here.



And not for the type of animal you might think.



Let me backtrack a little.



When I was figuring out what type of vehicle to use for field work, I had the chance to speak with an Ozzie with a real thick, crocodile dundee/Steve Erwin accent. It took me a few minutes to realize he wasn’t messing with me over the phone.


Eventually he asked: “I ‘spect you’ll want a rhubarb?”


Why I would want rhubarb with a field vehicle was beyond all reason. Maybe this was some type of co-op program where I needed to deliver vegetables? Was he just being friendly and offering me an Australian normalcy? Maybe eating rhubarb was the ozzie equivalent of sitting down for coffee and a chat?

Long story short, I finally broke down what he was saying – Roo bar (pronounced Rue-Baaa, ozzies hate an R sound in most situations)

As in Kangaroo Bar on the front of the vehicle. 



At my first sun-down I quickly learned why it is such a necessity.

In the daytime they look pretty cute.

Agile wallaby (Macropus agilis)





But at night when the headlights shine they act like deer that jump 6’ in the air and come blurring out of nowhere!


Danger: Wallaby flight path



I haven’t been able to figure out why there is a kangaroo, wallaby, wallaroo, etc. Everyone here calls them “Roo’s” and tries not to splatter them on the highway.


I captured two more water pythons last night, so I’m 1/5 of the way to my goal! Tonight I’m heading down the road to wrangle up some cane toads and get started on that experiment.




Wupps, I almost forgot, how can I not post an adorable frog photo!?!




Australian green tree frog (Litoria caerulea)




These frogs are just too cute and they always look like they’re smiling. I haven’t seen them hop anywhere, they just kind of lazily saunter and look at you with those big beautiful eyes (I think I’m in love). 


It’s also called the Dumpy tree frog.



I’m going to campaign to re-name them Totes-adorbs



Dumpy is all smiles



No comments:

Post a Comment