Wednesday, June 29, 2016

30.June.2016 (Day 25)

Here be dragons



This morning I thought it would be a good idea to take a local river boat cruise up and down the Adelaide River. I’d heard good things about the local wildlife visible from the water and there was even a rumor I’d get a chance to finally see a saltie.

I opted to go with a smaller outfit in the hopes that it would be less crowded, which was true, and still be a little classy, which was false.



Still nicer than a port-o-potty




It was a beautiful day in the NT. The weather was perfect and it felt amazing to be out on the water.




Adelaide River, Northern Territory






There were birds in every tree, mud-skippers on the shore, and only about 10 people on the pontoon boat, even an adorable baby that made me miss my wife and daughter dearly.



Wishing I had Olivia in my lap…





Birds, fish, and babies are great and all. 










But I was after crocs.











I don’t know if you’re sick of it yet, but I sure am getting tired of finding the world’s smallest large animals.


My first saltie…


...was about 2 feet long…




Just a wittle guy





Our humble boat driver had some meat to throw on shore to try to get the little guy riled up. Unfortunately he wasn’t quick enough and someone else swooped in.



Black kite (Milvus migrans)





Fairly disappointed with the mornings catch so far we continued on. One thing about the river is that there is a lot of floating detritus. Branches, logs, algae, and lilies are constantly floating by.





Some of the driftwood looked a little strange though…





A few too many bumps and ridges…





And sometimes floating against the current…




Something in the distance




As we got closer it became pretty apparent that this thing was a monster, easily 3+ meters (~15 feet) and didn’t move at all like I thought it would. There wasn’t splashing, thrashing, or awkward movements. For something so large, I was amazed to see how gracefully they moved. And how quick. This big fella got within reach of our boat within 10 seconds and with little visible effort.




Big animal, little ripple




If I haven’t mentioned it before, dinosaurs were a big deal to me when I was a kid (who am I kidding, I still love dinos!) so seeing an animal this close that looks like it comes straight from the Jurassic was pretty incredible.



Remnants of an age long gone





As it got even closer and I could see into its eyes our boat captain pulled out a huge chunk of meat, chopped some up and put it on the end of a long hook.


I think it's staring into my soul




I should have realized sooner that while these were wild crocs, they have become pretty accustomed to being fed by meat hooks multiple times per day. And they’re normally ready and waiting as soon as they hear the engine coming down the river.



I’ll have the raw beef, please






The speed, power, and height these animals can jet out of the water is incredible. Not to mention the sound their jaws make. It sounds like a mix between a heavy wooden door slamming and a tire popping.



Nothin’ but teeth and muscle






The bite force of a saltwater crocodile is one of the strongest ever measured. Humans can bite down into a steak with a force of 890 newtons (~175 psi), a lion can bite down at around 4,450 newtons (1,000 psi).


A saltie can slam shut with a force measured at 16,460 newtons (3,700 psi)!!!


Most of their power is in closing their jaws around chunks of prey. I’ve heard that if you jumped on one and held it’s jaws shut, it wouldn’t be able to open back up and nip you (/swallow you).





I’m gonna go ahead and not try to experience that little factoid first-hand.






Modern crocs are incredibly similar to prehistoric ones, and it’s startlingly to think what kind of impact they’ve had on the landscape over the millennia.


We went around feeding several other crocs, most of which turn out to be female. There’s normally a single male that dominates a pretty large stretch of water and scares away any competing males.



Purty little lady



I am in total awe of these animals. Their power is something you have to see for yourself to fully understand. The size and strength, I’ll never be able to completely describe.




Saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)









I think it’s safe to say I won’t be doing any swimming in the area.







No comments:

Post a Comment