Wednesday, June 15, 2016

15.June.2016 (Day 10)

Notes from the field



My wife Kelly mentioned that the picture I put up earlier of one of my study species looks dark, foreboding, and scary. After catching eight more last night (that makes 12 total!) I thought it would be a good idea to snap a better pic.


Water python (Liasis fuscus)




They’re really gentle giants (except a few nippers), and their bellies are a beautiful yellowish tint. Not to mention I haven’t seen one move very quick yet, so catching them is a breeze. They’re called water pythons, but I haven’t been able to find any research on how their hydration state fluctuates in the environment. Couple that with immune function tests as they hydrate/dehydrate and you basically have the nuts and bolts of my water python study.

Friendly, easy to find, and purty. 

What’s not to like?




Fieldwork alone at night can sometimes be a little lonely/terrifying.


Lucky for me there are an endless supply of critters for us to 'ohh' and 'ahh' at.






Eastern long-necked turtle/Snake-headed turtle (Chelodina longicollis)

People said I’d be sick of them by the end of the summer. I’m not buying it. How could you get sick of that face!?



I also found what I thought was a new snake species for the trip…until it licked its eyeball (which is not something snakes generally do)


Tastes like chicken




It turned out to be one of the first lizards I’ve seen all trip except for a million and a half skinks that I can’t seem to identify or get a good picture of.

Most people think the identifying feature of a snake is a lack of limbs. 

Au contraire.

There are actually many species of legless lizards that look just like snakes. It isn't easy to find any hard and fast rule but generally if it has closeable eyelids, ear holes, or can lick it's eyeball with its tongue...it's a lizard.


Burton’s legless lizard (Lialis burtonis)



I kept running into this little guy and couldn’t help myself. I had to take a photo and share it. He reminds me of Harry's owl Hedwig. 

(I’m pretty sure I just scored double on the nerd scale: bird picture and Harry Potter reference...winning!)


Tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)



Even when there aren’t any birds, snakes or lizards out, the country is incredibly rich and beautiful. The wild is often all consuming. 


Everywhere you look there’s something new to find or cool to look at.

Praying mantis

The praying mantis is a pretty awesome as far as insects go. It can turn its head like a human (which is cool and creepy to see at the same time), most insects can’t because of their stiff necks. It has a pretty bizarre love-life in certain situations, although it’s only a myth that females bite the heads off their partners every time.  Most insects only sense vibrations to hear but mantids actually have an ear (just a single) on the middle of their abdomen (belly), that can sense the high pitched tones of bats. They also have modified front legs that are super strong and spikey to hold onto prey.


I think they make a pretty good case for coolest insect around.



Like the long-necked turtle, I don’t ever think I’ll get tired of seeing the friendly treefrogs that love to hang out around the lab buildings at night



Smile on Dumpy




Of course field work/tropical living wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t come home to a giant insect on my pillow!

Goodnight dragonfly




During the day I spent most of my time on my experiments including processing some more children’s pythons. I honestly can’t understand why people are so scared of snakes. Granted, I’m not going to jump on an olive python anytime soon, but children’s are about the tamest wild animal I’ve ever encountered.


Coiled up for a nap



This little lady was on the counter after I measured her length and was recording notes. Instead of trying to dart away she started moving into my pocket. Rather than discourage such behavior, I was all too happy to oblige her a short nap.

Near and dear to my heart indeed.


Normally when I work with these animals at ASU I have an army of eager undergraduate researchers to help hold them and take measurements. Figuring out how to get a blood sample with only two hands while also keeping them stable was quite a conundrum. 




This is jungle science though and the motto is ‘make do with what you’ve got’.



My father always imparted on me that there are certain household items that have never ending value.


Duct tape, a million uses and counting



No comments:

Post a Comment