Tuesday, June 28, 2016

29.June.2016 (Day 24)

Home again



It is hard to admit defeat, but there are some endeavors better put to rest. Times to admit it's best to move on to better and brighter avenues. 

After nine days on the road chasing toads all over the NT I assumed it would be safe to try my same ol’ field sites again. With miles behind me, my old haunts would feel good to explore again.






The fires couldn’t possibly still be going, how could there be anything left to burn?






Apparently there's still plenty…




Still up in flames





After 30 toads, 23 water pythons, and 5 children’s pythons it was time to say goodbye and search for a new field site to call home for the rest of the summer.




The hunt was on and I found a few promising prospects.



Most of them already had occupants who didn’t look too pleased to share the wealth though,,.




Grumpy water buffalo




With the sun going down and the moon coming up, it was easy to lose faith.






Moon-rise over NT






But with a lot of determination and even more luck we found a patch of road near a pond with 5 water pythons in a few hours.





Not a bad night.




I’ve been in toad-mode for so long that I almost forgot how great it is to cruise the roads at night and marvel at all the amazing Australian wildlife. 


Instead of being a big baby (like last time), my snake-o-vision is getting better and I was able to quickly spot a slatey grey (Stegonotus cucullatus) and pick it up for a few unabashed-selfies.





Look! I’m a big boy now


That’s not to say he wasn’t a little bitey and I was a little jumpy. 



Making for some pretty embarrassing/priceless candid shots.




The face of pure elation



This new site seems pretty legit and has some of the classic characters.



Cool geckos? Yep


House gecko (Hemidactylus frenatus)





Terrifying spiders? Sure


Wolf spider






But does it have cool birds too? You betcha



Large-tailed nightjar (Caprimulgus macrurus)





It’s sad to say goodbye to Harrison & Fogg Dam. But something tells me I’ll feel right at home in this new spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment