Monday, June 6, 2016

6.June.2016 (Day 1)

How low can I go?

Traveling between three different continents in less than a week is a blessing and a curse. Eventually the delirium will fade (please forgive any typos or made-up, non-sensical words) and it will sink in that I’ll be spending the next eight weeks on the other side of the equator. On the flip-side, I’m rollin’ in frequent flyer miles!

For the uninitiated, a quick re-cap of recent ridiculousness (since 1st June):
Flying, Salvador to Sao Paulo- 910mi (including a bird flying into the engine during take-off forcing an emergency landing)
Sao Paulo to Los Angeles- 6,156mi
Driving, LA to San Diego, San Diego to Phoenix – 464mi
Flying, Phoenix to LAX – 370mi
LAX to Melbourne – 7,918mi
Melbourne to Canberra – 290mi



I’ve gone, both figuratively and literally, over half a world away. And now I’m farther south than I’ve ever gone, about to embark on a 2 month research experience throughout northern Australia on a fellowship (EAPSI, you should apply!). Before I take (yet another) flight to Darwin, I’m spending a few days in the Aussie capitol for a little orientation

When I left Phoenix, summer felt like it was in full swing (it was 116F the day I left). By the time I finally got off the plane here, it was 40F and fall is in full effect.


I had grandiose dreams of exploring Canberra all day, but exhaustion caught up to me and I didn’t make it much farther than the park.

I felt quite a few scowls while enthusiastically photographing their version of pigeons.

Umm I’m sorry, I don’t care how common they are, I’ll never get tired of cockatoos flying everywhere. 
Sulpher crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita) Why do the prettiest birds make the most terrible shrieks?


Galah/Rose-brested cockatoo (Eolophus roseicapilla)

No comments:

Post a Comment