Tuesday, June 7, 2016

7.June.2016 (Day 2)

Introductions.

Australians are a stubborn bunch. They refuse to admit that the language spoken here is, in fact, not English. I can’t get on a bus, it’s a coach. No downtown, just a civic. 

Aside from a few noun switches, there is also the odd case of verbiage. Today for example, before taking a walk in the park, our guide asked me ‘How are you going?’ (pronounced: howie-ya goin) to which I replied ‘walking?’… Apparently she was in no way concerned with my mode of transport, but rather how I was doing today.

Communication breakdown.

My easiest favorite was after dinner “Right then, make sure ‘n get brekkie quick, we’ll be up ‘round sparrows fart”

I wish I were creative enough to make that up.

Translation: “Please make sure that you eat breakfast quickly because we’ll be leaving the hotel very early in the morning.”

(sigh)

I’ve also thought about starting a letter writing campaign to the peoples of Australia. It would read something like this-
To whom it may concern,
          I write to inform you that the driver’s seat is in fact on the left side of the vehicle and not on the right. Additionally, please cease and desist driving on the wrong side of the road. Crossing the street as an American pedestrian I continually look the wrong way before crossing and have already had several close calls.

Yours respectively,  
A yank down under (undah?)
You're all in danger, you're driving on the wrong side of the road!


Today was mostly introductions, lectures, and warm welcomes. There are about 25 PhD students as part of the program with a wide range of interests. The physics of breastfeeding, quantum mechanics in nuclear reactors, ecosystems of artificial shorelines, seismology of Australia and Chile, etc, etc. Unfortunately I’m the only immunologist of the group so I get the same blank stares if I go too deep into my research. Luckily I can always revert to “I work with reptiles and amphibians” which undoubtedly results in ‘Kewl!”

Canberra is a beautiful city and I’ve finally been able to wear a jacket and pants for the first time in months.

Canberra (pronounced CAN-bURr-AH)
Not as much exploring today as I would have liked, but tomorrow we’ll get the chance to drive into the bush (I think that means out of the city) and there’s a  chance we’ll get to see a koala (they told us we have ‘Buckley’s chance’ which means…fair???)

I can also report that the Australian government has spared no expense on our accommodations. Especially compared to the 3’ x 8’ closet I was stuffed into last night. I’m going to enjoy this nice bed while I can before I sleep on a cot for the next 8 weeks.



I also realize it’s been two days and I haven’t even posted a single shameless selfie. The nerve. And I call myself a millennial! 
What you don't know is that I have a pair of thermals on too

No comments:

Post a Comment