Thursday, July 11, 2013

7/11/2013

7/11/2013

Sometimes it's really obvious when tourists are in your town.

I can always tell when someone doesn't live in SLO because they're gawking at every building and utterly fascinated with stuff like bubble-gum alley.

It feels pretty good to still feel like a tourist at La Selva.

How could I not be utterly transfixed by everything...

Trogon massena (Slaty-tailed Trogon) Even their version of pigeons are beautiful!




Today's work day...well, let's just say it wasn't as productive as it could have been.






Much like my work with the red-eyed tree frogs, I found myself more concerned with taking adorable animal photos instead of doing any actual science.




I finished off an entire species today though, 20 more animals, caught, CTmaxed, and released!

BOOM!








I just took a good amount of time to get it done...

Hemidactylus frenatus (House Gecko) So damn cute! Geckos have a clear scale for protection over their eyes instead of eyelids. To clean off their eyes they lick them. And are incredibly adorable in the process!








After pretending to be a Gorgon with the snakes last night, I decided I wasn't quite done with Greek mythology.
















Behold. Cerberus, guardian of the Underworld!



Look at those faces! You wouldn't get anything done either.









Thecadactylus rapicauda (Turnip-tailed Gecko) For being an adorable gecko, these little guys sure do like to bite. It was pretty tough to try and experiment on them. So soft. So cuddly.








Perhaps I'm nerding out too much here. But those eyes really reminded me of Sauron...




With so many awesome snakes and lizards lying around, it took damn near 8 hours to do 6 hours of work. Not to mention I spent a fair amount of time trying to teach the critters how to pose for the camera.







I even ended up catching a lizard that isn't all that rare, but apparently hard as hell to catch. Even if I only see one, at least I got some quality picture time in with it.




Norops lemurinus (Lemur Anole) I just love hanging out with all my reptile buddies!


It rained all day today, if it does that same tomorrow I have no idea what I'm going to do.

The lizards I have left to catch all hang out in the sun for good portions of the day.



Time to bust out the ol' lizard noose again and give it another go!

No comments:

Post a Comment