Saturday, July 20, 2013

7/19/2013

7/19/2013

When I first saw on the schedule that we had an 'optional' trip scheduled for the weekend of the 19th through the 21st, I'm not gonna lie, I thought to myself: "Pshh, of course I'm going to stay at La Selva and work! My time here is far too valuable. How could I dream of taking a vacation?"







Silly George.




I know what you're thinking.


And yes, I do deserve a vacation after only 5 weeks.





We've been working ourselves to the bone. We're here to learn, but we're also here to enjoy Costa Rica.



We piled into a van at 8am and said goodbye to the jungle.


After ~4.5 hours we arrived at our 6 bedroom beach house we rented for the weekend. Punta Uva is pretty close to the border with Panama, at the south-west corner of Costa Rica.




The best part... my own queen size bed! There are some benefits to being the 'grandpa' of the trip. No more climbing to the top bunk of a children's size bed...for the weekend at least. 












I think I should join the olympic team.



I'm pretty sure my sprint down to the beach once we got into the house could qualify me for some kind of world record.




Being in jungle-darkness for the last 5 weeks has left me pale as a ghost!



The Jungle runs right up to the beach here.

 My first time in the Caribbean...it felt good.



In no time we were having a good old time enjoying a, basically, private beach.


When we got back to the house, the groundskeeper Cruz, was even nice enough to cut up some fresh coconuts for us. We had tried smashing them against some stones to open them, you can guess how that went...




 I don't think I'd survive in the wild on my own for very long



Not much in the way of science went down today. I feel like the weekend is going to be a much needed relax-athon.











We went into town for a nice meal.


Finally, human food!






And as the designated 'old guy' of the group i was tasked with keeping an eye on everyone during the trip. Try as I might, they wouldn't let me get out of a little dancing.


Thank goodness there's no photographic evidence of me attempting some salsa moves...yikes.



I have one thing, and one thing only on my agenda for tomorrow....beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment