Tuesday, July 30, 2013

7/30/2013

7/30/2013


Not much exciting to report today.


Well, it's pretty exciting to me. 



I am neck deep in paper writing.




There are four main sections to a scientific paper: introduction (background), methods (what you're doing and how), results (what you found), and discussion (explain what your findings mean, any problems you had and possible directions in the future).


I feel pretty confident with my introduction so far, the methods is kind of done (just some fine tuning) and today has been crunching, crunching, crunching numbers.

 I wouldn't say I'm half way done though. The fun stuff is just beginning.


It's important that I write out and explain what I found, run the right stats for it, make the right figures (graphs, tables, etc.) and explain those figures correctly in the paper...

Wowza is my head spinning!

And then I move on to the discussion.

I've spent the past six weeks tropsin' about in the jungle. Sitting behind a computer screen for 12 hours a day and just thinking is waaaaay more exhausting.





I wish I had some awesome pictur.....












jk















Of course I saw more awesome moths today!







I also learned something pretty cool from a tourist.




Socratea exorrhiza (Walking Palm) Try as I might to stay away from plants, this one is pretty cool. It grows up on these thick stilt-like roots, that way if there is too much competition for space or light it can extend new roots out in a certain direction to lean (sometimes at over a 45° angle!)






There were more butterflies than usual this morning flapping all around the river station.





I thought maybe there were some flowers blooming nearby that they were feeding on.




Eventually we discovered some tell-tale sign hanging on the vines in the nearby forest. There were thousands of them. Must have just emerged too. Pretty wild stuff!




Can't chat too long, I have my work cut out for me. As of writing this I have exactly 48 hours until my papers is due...I love a good challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment