Sunday, July 28, 2013

7/28/2013

7/28/2013



Early to bed, early to rise.


I've followed that sentiment fairly religiously my whole life, including my time here at La Selva. I'm not much of a night owl.



I was on my way to bed last night, this is about 9pm, when I swore I could hear some guitar playing off in the distance.

Assuming the jungle creatures hadn't gotten the band back together I decided it would be best to go and investigate.













And five hours later my voice was gone and my eyes could barely stay open.



I stumbled across some fellow researchers having a jam session! At first it was mostly latin songs or classic campfire stuff (john denver, james taylor, etc.)

Luckily I ended up asking 'do you guys know any 90's jams?'...

You know. When 90's music was on the radio I couldn't really stand it. It must have been on so much that it became engraved in my psyche though. Because I just can't get enough.

Highlight: Seal - Kissed by a rose.

And no. We didn't sound good at all, but damn was it a fun time.

Something about belting out 90's jams in the middle of the night is good for the soul. Hard work is just as important as play, sometimes I forget that. Luckily no one there had anything resembling a good singing voice so we need not be too embarrassed.

Pumpkins. STP. Ace of Base. Mariah. C+C Music Factory.

They're all there to remind me to take it easy.














 Before I get on about today, let's get this out of the way:








 Mandatory awesome moth photo.











Today was bitter-sweet. I think I caught my last round of lizards. :  (

I'll test them in the lab tomorrow. But after Monday at midnight we're cut-off from any field work.


They're trying to replicate the end of the field season. As far as data collection is concerned we've been told to act like we leave the jungle Monday night.


I'll take the lizards I caught today back to the field tomorrow night and then that's it. Only thing left to do is write a paper in five days and try my best to soak up the jungle before it's all over...









Not to brag or nothin', but the wife is coming down on the last day and we're going to go sit on a tropical beach for a few weeks...






Not to brag or nothin'.
















It was with a heavy-heart that I caught the last of my lizards (for this trip anyway).





Norops oxylophis (Stream Anole) It's going to be hard to say goodbye to all my little babies. I didn't notice the little guy under my thumb when I took this photo. Yeah big guy? Mr. tough-n-stuff gonna bite everyone else? I know I'm scared.





The males of these species were probably some of my favorite. They'd get all hot and bothered and try to 'display' to me. That colored patch of skin is called a dewlap. They normally flash this towards other males in the environment as a way to flex muscle and chase away competitors from their ladies. Think of it as equivalent to their bro-tanks.








Thecadactylus rapicauda (Turnip-tail gecko) Who doesn't love a gecko? They're just too charismatic and pretty to ever be scared of. Not going to lie though, they're a lot more bitey than you'd think. 



It's really getting down to the end of the line. It's hard to believe it will be over in less than 2 weeks.



I'm not gonna lie, the end of this trip means the start of a whole new one.

Life is tough sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment