Saturday, July 13, 2013

7/13/2013

7/13/2013


A tour group of students came in today to hear what my project was all about and play with some of the lizards.

A few of the students actually got really upset with how I was treating my animals.





Their first objection was that I kept them in sealed plastic bags.










"They need air holes, they're not getting enough oxygen!"









This was cleared up when I explained how I'm working with ectotherms and that they had very slow metabolisms and would be just fine in a large ziploc bag for the day.

While they acted satisfied, I could tell they were hoping I'd put them in little lizard condos with some leaves, a few twigs, and maybe a fold-out sofa.




The second complaint was my method of deciphering their CTmax.






Admittedly, they came in at an unfortunate time, and a few of my lizards looked like this:


One clever student wondered 'if the lizard was drunk'?



They were much more understanding of my methods after I explained what the larger purpose of the study was. I think most people might, initially, see my work as nothing more than boiling frogs and lizards.


Talking to the public about what I'm doing is a skill I must learn.



I think the argument is over about climate change. Like many people, I want to know how it might affect some of my favorite animals. And how much change they can take. When I spelled it out real simple like, everyone got on board real quick.


It is sometimes hard to look at my poor lizard buddies floating on their backs all day. I guess it's a good thing I can take a short walk and find all kinds of cool stuff.




Even though I just posted a picture and even though they're so common. This little juvenile Parrot Snake was just too cute not to show off. Yeah big tough guy, you gonna scare me off with those scary fangs??? You big cutey.





Gasteracantha cancriformis (Spiny-backed Orbweaver) I've been told these spiders aren't dangerous and don't even bite when you pick them up. I'll grab snakes all day before I get my hands anywhere near this crab/demon/spider!






Pteroglossus torquatus (Collared Aracari) No fun facts about this one. Just a pretty bird.







Oh, and before I forget.














I caught a dinosaur today.













You heard me. There's no doubt in my mind. Clearly a dinosaur.











Basiliscus plumifrons (Green Basilisk) Look at this thing!!! I can imagine this being 40 times bigger and stalking a cretaceous jungle. Such an awesome animal. The dorsal fans are just too cool. I thought the brown basilisks were hard to noose, they're nothing compared to this little rascal. He was a biter! And in case you were wondering, the answer is yes, it did somehow poop on its own head.







Of course I had to take some cheezy photos. They didn't play nice like I had hoped. Can't we all just get along? So ferocious.






My kids are going to hate me if I make them pose half as much as I make my lizard buddies.



They're like an awesome-lizard-brady-bunch.



I still can't believe they pay me for this.















Quick fable:
A long time ago ocean and jungle got into a fight. Jungle was mad that ocean had so many cool animals that called it home. Ocean said "Are you kidding me?! You get all the cool animals, everyone wants to come see you." Jungle had a counter-point though; "Ocean, you get to be everywhere at once. People get to see all your cool animals any day they want. It is far too hard for some to come see me." Ocean saw jungles point and so they decided jungle would get one animal.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear George,

    Just wanted to let you know that I have spent hours of today reading your blog and admiring your photos. Can't tell you how impressed I am. Your blog is informative, interesting, funny, and an amazing catalog for future generations of scientists. I cannot put it down. I want each entry to go on and on. Your enthusiasm and your dedication are completely contagious. Your photos are terrific! Don't TELL me you're using that water-logged-from-fall-in-the-river-in-Brazil camera I gave you? I love the way you are taking in all that you can, with complete immersion and abandon, and beyond that, the way that you are making time to document it all, and to share it. I'm so totally blown away. It's so cool, too, that you've decided to maximize the collecting of data, to take full advantage of where you are. I hope that your time as La Selva provides years and years of inspiration and possibility. Our world needs people like YOU! Love, Ma (2)

    ReplyDelete