Saturday, July 6, 2013

7/6/2013

7/6/2013



It's time for another version of 'WTF is that?':



At least with this one, I know it's a moth. Beyond that. No idea. I've always liked insects, but getting into them is very intimidating. How the hell would you ever be able to tell the difference between them all?






I gotta say. I am pooped.

Good news: I have all the night-lizards I need for my experiments. 20/20 wooh wooh!

Bad news: Now all that's left is the real tricky/hard-to-catch lizards...

It's going to be a long couple of weeks.




Today I spent most of my time here:



 Flipping over logs and fallen tree trunks.

When you find the lizards they always have the same, really surprised look about them.

"Wait, What? How did you find me?!"

It only takes a few seconds for them to get real viscous though. Luckily they're so small the bite is tolerable. Although for a little thang, they can pack a punch.

Even after being overheated at their CTmax they still have a look like "I am so going to bite the hell out of you as soon as I get out of here". Sassy little things.


Clearly a dinosaur.


I ended up helping some of my other REU's today after frustratingly going 0/25 for 3 hours on the other lizards.

One of them is doing a radio-telemetry experiment and asked If I'd ever done any...

You could say that.

He's working with a cat-eyed snake and having a similar problem to what we had back in SLO. Where are all the snakes at?

Only 2 so far, including this one.




Later on I helped some one else do some mist-netting. They're looking for some insanely boring bird that I wholeheartedly admit I wasn't interested in.

Birders are so hands off, drives me nuts. 





My biggest question.



When do I get to hold one?


After helping out, it was back to some work.

I like lizards, but...


I'm not going to lie. I miss working with these guys.



But everything has to change eventually. Hopefully tomorrow's lizard catching goes a little smoother. In two weeks we're going on an vacation to the beach too.

I know, tough gig we got going on here.







No comments:

Post a Comment