Saturday, July 6, 2013

7/5/2013

7/5/2013

I have a few 'edits' for jungle-rule #1.

It is not always a good day when you see a monkey.

At first I thought it was on accident.

 "Oh, that's weird, that branch just fell right next to me".

After the third branch (and this one hitting me), I knew something funny was going down.

'Monkey business' if you will.

Those little jerk monkeys were throwing everything they could at me!

Branches, unripe fruit, clumps of mud (it better be mud!).

I don't know what I did to piss them off, but these monkeys were clearly not happy to have me in their part of the jungle. I don't think they liked the way I looked or something, because they followed me for damn near a kilometer!

They were real quiet-like too. Not howling and jumping around like they normally are. Clearly I ran into a troupe of ninja-stealth-devil-monkeys.

So, for now, let's revise rule number one: You'll always have a good day when you see a friendly monkey (and make sure to stay away from those jerk-monkeys).











On the positive side, look at the new place I get to work!

If you get lost in this part of the woods you're clearly an idiot.













Yeah.





 


 I got a little lost.



But while wandering around trying to find my entry point, I stumbled across this...umm, thing. I dub thee "jelly-pillar". Part jelly-fish, part caterpillar, all weird. Not sure what phylum this thing is even in. I'm hesitant to even call it a eukaryote. I was really tempted to poke at it, 10-year-old George was kept in check though.
(Update 7/15/2013: After some serious sleuthing I can at least say it is the genus Minacraga. All of their caterpillar stages share the same weird hair structures and odd shaped, semi-gelatinous, feet)



I can't help but think of "Fern Gully" in my new work environment. I loved that movie when I was a kid. I've been waiting for a bat with the voice of Robin Williams to pop out of the bushes and start a dance number with me.

Either that or a velociraptor. I don't think there'd be as much singing and dancing in that scenario.

Regardless of strange fantasies, this place is pretty awesome. And quiet too. Probably the quitest place I've found in the jungle. It's good to get away for a while.




As of now, it looks like I'll be going for 6 different lizard species. Maybe more if I can catch them (baby iguanas do not enjoy being meddled with). 

Today I only ended up finding two of the new lizard species I'll be working with.

There's still time though.



Lepidophyma flavimaculatum (Yellow-spotted Tropical Night Lizard) One of the new species I'll be collecting. They're a little bitey but I still think they're purdy. I think I already talked about these ladies briefly. They're all female at La Selva, meaning they're parthenogenic.


Sphenomorphus cherriei (Litter Skink) These aren't the most exciting lizards. I'm not sure how I'll find 20, it might be some looong days ahead looking for these. After 4 hours wandering around, I only caught 3... hmm, back to the drawing board.


Tomorrow I'll start redoubling my efforts and hopefully catch some more lizards!

No comments:

Post a Comment