Tuesday, July 2, 2013

7/2/2013

7/2/2013


Finally, after two weeks.

I finally found the perfect stick.

Combined it with the perfect noose (made of dental floss).


And caught the first example of my final study species.




Now introducing, for the first time ever.

Ameiva festiva (Central American Whiptail Lizard) This little jerk gave me quite a run for my money. Here I am trying on my best 'gangsta' face after finally conquering the beast. Pretty thug if you ask me.



These things are squirrely, quick, and fun as hell to catch. The adult males seem to be the easiest to catch. They're always so busy defending their territories they don't seem to notice my noose slowly creeping up on them... Gotcha!


They come in a bunch of different colors, and their backs have a really intricate texture. I'm beginning to really appreciate the 6th and final study animal in my study. Even if they are a total pain-in-the-ass to catch.


I only caught 4, but that puts my total to 104/120... getting there!

I spent a lot of time 'updating' my methods. These lizards are easily x2 bigger than anything I've worked with thus far.

I'm learning that jungle science is much different from the kind we do at our universities back in the states. The most important quality to have here - ability to improvise.

Because there also aren't a lot of materials.

Luckily I found some old Tupperware in a closet, tore up some old screen windows and used some good ol' fashioned duct tape to make newer designs.

Wallah!


Poor things never knew what him 'em. 


Don't worry. They were up and running in no time after they went back to ambient temperatures.

One unfortunate thing I learned about this species today: When overheated, they tend to deficate on themselves...

Why does everything in the jungle either scratch, bite, sting, or poop on me? 


By the time I was done with my four beasties it was already 3pm. Since it was already so late in the day, I figured I'd take a break a go visit some more animals!



Say hello to my pretty friend. They clearly out-did me on the gangsta face department.


 Another REU asked me to examine one of their specimens for parasites.

You know how much that gets me going! Ego-boost + dissection + playing with parasites = I'm in.

Unfortunately I had to find my own dissecting equipment...

You remember what I said about improvising in the jungle? 



Trust me, you don't want to improvise with dissecting tools.

Somehow I managed to scrounge up a few sewing pins, a piece of cardboard (for a dissecting pan), and a pair of toddler scissors...

Ugh, not my cleanest dissection.



 I also didn't end up finding any internal parasites like I had hoped : (

Not bad for what I was working with though.









WARNING! NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!







We actually did find one parasite. Some would argue that it's the most dangerous parasite in all of human history. 















Children!
It's pretty crazy how many features are evident here.You can make out the mouth, eye and the limbs. I've never worked with a fetus so small before.


I often fail to appreciate Cal Poly's 'learn by doing'. Many of my fellow REU's had only done one or two dissections throughout their entire undergrad career. I have to feel fortunate that I've been given the chance to do so many. It's rewarding to get inside an animal I've never worked with and know all the organs.

Science is kewl.

Tonight I might skip out on the swamp again.

Everyone needs to rest at some point. 

1 comment:

  1. love that gangsta bat! Also, you may want to make it clear to your readers the bat was dead before you guys decided to dissect it...I know seeing that baby fetus made me sad :(

    ReplyDelete