Thursday, July 25, 2013

7/25/2013

7/25/2013


I'm a big baby.



















You heard it here first.





I can handle heat, humidity, bug-bites, rice and beans for months on end, bites, scratches, stings, and smelly water.














Lightning storms...nope!














I was pretty sure the world was going to end last night. This one was way worse than the storm we had a few weeks ago. And just like then, I was shaking like a leaf the entire time.


I do feel a little better, because in the morning everyone (including the mid-westerners) agreed it was a pretty darn good storm.



Thunder is NOT supposed to shake the walls.




 A few of the 'big' ones felt so close my ears were ringing!


(Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit)



So say it all you want, I'm a big baby, and I don't like scary lightning. I'll handle snakes, spiders, and all manner of bitey creatures before I ever want to try to sleep through a storm like that again!


It rained all last night and most of today.


Remember that pretty little stream near the river station?





One of these days I'll swerve my way down there and take a picture standing under that log in the background. It has to be at least 2m above the water...normally.






Then it rains all night and looks like this:







The weirdest part is that no one who lives down here seems to care!


Me: Oh my God! The creek near the riverstation is flowing backwards. Should we think about evacuating?!
Crazy People: Meh... I've seen it much worse.



Like I said.



I'm a big, worry-wart, baby.




I spent another long day in the lab trying to grind out some data analysis.



Many of the researchers are big on using this program called 'R' for all their statistics. I've always heard it's very powerful... you just have to know how to write your own computer code!





I can barely figure my way around my wife's iPhone!






After 6 hours in the lab I actually got pretty excited about all my stats work.








I'm going to have to get over my fear of statistics, because that's how scientists talk to each other. If another scientist has no background knowledge of what my project was about, they look for this magic little number, in my case it's called a p value.



When I show my stats I'm basically trying to say that more than 95% of the time I won't show a relationship where there is not one (called a false positive, or Type I error). Think of a blood test, I'd want to say less than 5% of the time my blood test would show a patient had a disease when they really didn't.


Ugh, what a mouthful.


Now I'm just confusing myself.



In any case, I got a p value=0.0004621... which is really small, which is awesome!


Being stuck in doors all day means I didn't get a million cool animal photos.


But the jungle is good to me. Sometimes you never have to leave your desk for cool wildlife to show up.



Crax rubra (Great Curassow) The male (brown) had 4 different females dancing around. Every time they'd start to wander off he'd flap his wings and make all kinds of squawking noises until they got back in a line right next to him. Come on bird, this is the 21st century...chauvinist. 







Unknown Moth. I'm not gonna lie, moths are pretty kewl.







It's amazing how draining it can be staring at a computer screen all day. I'm thinking of paying homage to the lightning Gods so I can get a good nights sleep. 


Hopefully tomorrow I can get back out there and wrangle up some more lizards.



No comments:

Post a Comment